Kentucky’s large number of high school dropouts (36th nationally), poisons Kentucky’s business climate.
In 2007, Forbes Magazine ranked Kentucky 41st in their best states for business report. Kentucky’s Labor Rank was 41st, and our overall Economic Climate Rank was a dismal 48th.
In 2007-2008, CFED gave Kentucky the following grades:
- State Education
- Financial Security
- Business Development
- Home Ownership
How Your Business Can Help
- Be a resource. Offer internships, job shadowing, and service learning opportunities to students.
- Be a partner. Partner with career academies to provide students with opportunities for real-world learning.
- Be a mentor. Encourage employees to volunteer during or after work hours through mentoring programs.
- Be a sponsor. Sponsor capital improvements, professional development seminars for teachers, or other school initiatives.
- Be an engaged civic leader. Improving Kentucky’s business climate will require more than awareness. It will require your participation.
Resources for Businesses
The High Cost of High School Dropouts (PDF)
The Impact of High School Graduation on Household Wealth (PDF)
- Information for students to consider about the importance of education and staying in school
- Information for parents to help your children meet the education challenge
- Best practices of Schools across the Commonwealth accepting the challenge
- See how Communities throughout Kentucky can accept the challenge
- See How Your Business can accept the challenge and win with Kentucky